- Earn a high rewards rate on all your purchases, plus a huge sign-up bonus
- Get ultimate redemption flexibility for travel purchases
- Expect miles back every time you redeem
You'll earn 2 miles per dollar on every purchase; no need to worry about bonus rewards categories. Also, no foreign transaction fee, plus international chip and pin capability.
Charges an annual fee, doesn't offer great ways to maximize your rewards, and no luxury perks.
If you want a credit card to earn free travel but don’t want to deal with the hassles of frequent flyer programs, blackout dates, and just want a card that makes it easy to get free travel, the Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite Mastercard® is a great choice.
This premium credit card from Barclaycard Arrival Plus® gives you 2x miles per dollar you spend everywhere you go with no limits on what you can earn.
Everything from groceries to hobbies to lunch out with your friends gives you the same 2x rewards, and you can redeem miles for cash back or reimburse yourself for any eligible travel purchases.
This card offers great flexibility to earning and redeeming rewards any way you want.
Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite Mastercard® review
The Arrival Plus® card from Barclays is a great credit card for anyone interested in earning miles for free travel from every dollar spent.
There is a 70,000 bonus miles after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first 90 days.
Earn 2 miles per dollar for every dollar spent with no caps or limits. If you average $3,000 in spend on the card every month, you would wind up with 72,000 miles per year, easily enough for a couple of free trips.
If you redeem for travel, you get 5% of the miles back as a bonus. That gives you even more value from this great card.
It doesn’t give you the best benefits for travel and purchase protection compared to some other leading cards, but the earning miles and redeeming can’t be easier. And the miles are valuable. That makes this card a winner.
Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite Mastercard® rewards and perks
The primary rewards program for this card comes from the mile rewards. Earn 2 miles for every dollar you spend with no limits. Miles are worth 1 cent each, you get an equivalent of 2% cash back when redeeming for travel.
When you redeem miles for travel, you are reimbursed for past travel expenses in the form of a statement credit. For example, if you pay for a $200 flight with this card, you can redeem 20,000-points to pay for the transaction.
That $200 expense comes right off of your bill. You never have to pay it.
When redeeming for travel, you get a 5% bonus back. So in the example above, you would get 5% of 20,000 points, or 1,000 points, automatically.
Enjoy 70,000 bonus miles after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first 90 days.
Just spend $5,000 on purchases on the card in the first 90 days after opening a new account to qualify. That is worth $700 right off the bat, plus you get 3,500 of those points back worth another $35 toward free travel.
Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite Mastercard® credit card benefits
The points earning and redemptions on this card are excellent, but the benefits leave a little to be desired. There is no rental car insurance, for example, which is offered by most premium tier travel rewards cards.
For new cardholders, get a promotional APR on balance transfers for first 12 billing cycles following each balance transfter which posts to your account. As long as the transfer is completed within 45 days of opening a new account.
The card charges no foreign transaction fees, you can use it with no extra charge when you redeem those points for trips out of the country. This card is chip and PIN enabled, a higher level of security than most cards.
This is important for regular travel to Europe, where you need a chip and PIN to complete most kiosk-based or self-checkout transactions.
Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite Mastercard® costs and fees
This card comes with an $89 annual fee, which is waived the first year.
The card charges a variable rate APR based on your credit history. Interest rates can change at any time. This rate also applies to balance transfers outside of the 12-month introductory period.
Cash advance transactions charge a higher variable APR. Cash advances also come with a 5% fee ($10 minimum). Balance transfers charge a 3% fee ($5 minimum).
Returned and late payments cost up to $37 each.
Does the Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite Mastercard® make sense for me?
The Barclaycard Arrival Plus®World Elite Mastercard® from Barclays is a great credit card for travel rewards.
If you want to put in more effort, there are some other travel rewards cards that might give you slightly better rewards and better benefits. But if you want something that is easy-to-use and just works, this is the card for you.
- Rated #3 in Best Credit Cards for Excellent Credit
- Rated #2 in Best Credit Cards with No Transaction Fees When Traveling Abroad
- Rated #5 in Best 0% APR Credit Cards
- Rated #1 in Best Barclay Credit Cards
- Rated #5 in Best Rewards Credit Cards
- Rated #2 in Best Travel Rewards Credit Cards
- Rated #1 in Best Hotel Credit Cards
- Enjoy 70,000 bonus miles after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first 90 days
- Earn unlimited 2X miles on every purchase
- New - Control Your Card - Instantly secure your accounts by locking your cards with Barclays SecurHold(TM), plus set transaction limits and block certain purchase categories for you or your authorized users. Available only on the Barclays mobile appBook travel your way-no airline, seat or hotel restrictions-and redeem your miles for travel statement credits
- Get 5% miles back to use toward your next redemption, every time you redeem
- No foreign transaction fees
- International Chip and PIN for use at self-service chip terminals around the world
- Miles don’t expire as long as your account is open, active, and in good standing
- See Rates & Fees