- No foreign transaction fees
- Premium perks, including airline fee credits, Uber credits, and other travel perks
- Bonus rewards on eligible airline and hotel purchases through Amex Travel
- Luxury travel perks for the frequent traveler
- Make up for the annual fee through benefits and rewards
- Charges a sky-high annual fee
- Offers a low rewards rate on everyday spending
- The airline fee credit is limited to just one airline and only on incidental fees
The Platinum Card® is an elite, premium travel rewards credit card from American Express. The benefits from this card are arguably the best among any major credit card today.
This powerhouse card includes up to 5x points per dollar on travel-related purchases, an annual $200 airline fee credit, up to $200 in free Uber rides each year, a fee credit for TSA PreCheck or Global Entry, access to over 1,100 airport lounges, and much more.
Follow along with this American Express Platinum Card® review to learn how it works, what it costs, and if it makes sense for you.
The Platinum Card® from American Express review
This credit card is loaded with benefits. If you enjoy frequent travel, the value from this card is immense. While it does charge a significant $550 annual fee, the rewards and benefits you get in return are worth far more.
In addition to rewards and a lengthy list of credits, this card also gives you Gold status at Hilton and Starwood (which now includes Marriott) hotels, upgrades to rental cars, and free WiFi at Boingo Hotspots.
The big dollar value you get from this card comes from credits for your favorite airline, TSA’s trusted traveler programs, and Uber rides. That is on top of 1x to 5x points per dollar on everyday spending you do with the card.
One important note, this is a charge card, not a traditional credit card. That means you have to pay off your entire balance in full every month. You do not have the option to carry a balance from month to month and pay interest. That also means this card doesn’t charge any interest.
So while this card does charge a large annual fee, regular travelers get that back and more with rewards and benefits from this top-tier credit card.
The Platinum Card® rewards and perks
The primary rewards program from this card is the points earning program. Start out with 60,000 bonus Membership Rewards® points worth $1,200 toward free travel, according to valuations from The Points Guy, after spending $5,000 on purchases within three months of opening a new account.
After that, you’ll earn 5x points per dollar for flights booked directly at airlines or through American Express Travel. You’ll also get 5x Membership Rewards® when booking a prepaid hotel on amextravel.com. All other purchases earn you 1 point per dollar, worth about 2 cents per point.
You can use those points for booking travel directly through the Amex portal or transfer points to travel rewards partners to book free and discounted flights and hotels with even greater value. Popular transfer partners include Delta, British Airways, Emirates, Etihad, Singapore, Air Canada, and Hilton. If you do transfer, make sure to check the valuation. Only transfer at 1:1 levels. Anything less costs more than it is worth in most cases.
Amex Platinum Card® credit card benefits
This credit card might have more benefits than any other card we've ever reviewed. It is packed full of fantastic, valuable, and useful benefits designed to make your travel experiences cheaper, safer, and more enjoyable.
Here is a summary of the biggest benefits from the Platinum Card®:
- $200 annual airline fee credit - Choose your favorite airline from a list including Delta, American, United, Southwest, Alaska, and others and get up to $200 in credits for in-flight purchases, checked bags, and other incidental fees.
- $200 in annual Uber credits - Ride for free with up to $15 per month in credits and a bonus $20 in December.
- $100 fee credit for TSA PreCheck or Global Entry - Every four years pay for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck with this card (go for Global Entry, it’s better). This is worth $25 per year, or $100 every four years.
- Fine Hotels & Resorts bonuses - When you travel with the Fine Hotels & Resorts program, get things like free daily breakfast for two, room upgrades, property amenities, late check-out, and complimentary WiFi. People who take advantage get around $550 per year in benefits at no extra cost.
- Global Lounge Collection - Get access to over 1,100+ lounges in 120 countries. Your card gets you into American Express Centurion® Lounges, International American Express Lounges, Delta Sky Club® when flying on Delta, and a complimentary membership to Priority Pass Select. This is one of our favorite benefits!
- Room upgrade and $75 hotel credit with two or more consecutive nights when booking through American Express Travel.
- Platinum Travel concierge service for help building itineraries and booking your travel.
- Gold level status with Hilton Honors and Starwood Preferred Guest. Starwood Preferred Guest status is matched at Marriott hotels as well.
- Boingo WiFi - Free passes to use Boingo internet in airports, on planes, and in other locations around the world.
- Status at some car rental companies with access to discounts and upgrades.
The card also offers some benefits you can use as a backup plan when travel and purchases don’t go as planned.
This card includes car rental loss and damage insurance, access to a global assistance hotline, return protection, automatic extended warranty, and purchase protection.
Cardholders also get access to premium American Express programs like exclusive restaurant, convert, and travel experiences.
The Platinum Card® costs and fees
This card charges a $550 annual fee, but that’s about it. Because it is a charge card, there is no interest rate and the card balance must be paid in full every month.
The card charges up to $38 for late and returned payments.
There are no foreign transaction fees, which is a big savings (often about 3%) when you use your card abroad.
The card does not offer cash advances or balance transfers, so there are no fees or charges for those services.
Does the The Platinum Card® from American Express make sense for me?
The Platinum Card® is one of the best credit cards available today. If you have great credit and love to travel, you can easily get back the $550 annual fee, and much more, through the plethora of benefits you get in return.
Application Process: Apply online and get a response within 60 seconds.
Rewards: Earn 5X points on flights booked directly with airlines or with Amex Travel, and hotel stays booked through Amex Travel. Earn 1X points on all other purchases.
APR: None; it's a charge card and requires you to pay your balance in full each month.
Annual Fee: $550.
- Rated #1 in Best American Express Cards
- Rated #2 in Best Rewards Credit Cards
- Rated #2 in Best Hotel Credit Cards
- Rated #2 in Best Travel Rewards Credit Cards
- Rated #3 in Best Credit Cards with No Transaction Fees When Traveling Abroad
- Rated #3 in Best Low Interest Credit Cards
- Rated #2 in Best Airline Credit Cards
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Up to $200 for Uber rides annually. Credit and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees, and more at one qualifying airline.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.